A 5 step process that builds a framework for what sustainability means and looks at your organization.
Step 1 – Create a Green Team
A team leader and team members will facilitate staff and campers through the process of “greening your camp” while creating a culture that embraces these new practices.
- Roster of Green Team members
- Statement of Organizational commitment to sustainability
- Notes from Green Team Meetings
Step 2 – Green Camps Conservation Policy
Developing conservation policies will help set expectations for the role campers and staff can play in supporting a culture of sustainability at your camp.
- List of Conservation Policies
- List of policy goals and desired outcomes
- List of agreed upon roles and responsibilities of Green Team Members
- Educational material to educate and enforce policies (Examples: Signage, Website page, Parent and Camper Materials, etc.)
Step 3 – Green Audit
Answer questions about energy, water, waste and office conservation to begin establishing a baseline and learn more about the opportunities for implementing green actions.
- Completed audit survey submitted through the Green Camps Community
Step 4 – Implement Green Actions
We’ve put together a few ideas for green actions that are supported by the resources we’re developing to simplify the process of modeling sustainability at your camp.
- Images/Video documentation of Green Action
Step 5 – Share
Share your experience and lessons learned from the sustainable initiative you chose to implement. By sharing your experience in implementing your green actions, you will be contributing to an ever expanding library of the challenges and successes of a great diversity of green actions being taken at camps around the country.
- Share videos, images, write-ups and other information to highlight your initiative.